Wednesday, January 22, 2014

healthy teeth without all the junk?

My poor family. They have been my guinea pigs for so long and beg me to buy toothpaste from the store. I have this gift of  compartmentalizing certain things regarding health. While I can throughly enjoy the sweetest sweets, I cannot (REPEAT: CANNOT) buy toothpaste or shampoo because of all the toxins they contain. Even the "natural" ones are filled with junk or don't work.

Years ago, after spending $400 in fillings for one of our sons, I began to explore the idea of remineralizing. I even bought a book entitled, "Cure Tooth Decay," which I took along on a sister/mom trip to florida last year. Yes, for fun I read that kind of literature. With their New York Bestsellers in hand, they sure looked at my quirky choice for poolside reading.

I have made a ton of batches of toothpaste in the past year. Some better than others. I had them all try "oil pulling." Some gagged (I almost did) while others refused after seeing the gagging episodes. Oil pulling has real merrit in my book after trying it for a while. Then I stopped, not sure why.

So today I read a few articles on it and it inspired me to begin again. Rather than restate all the good information they wrote I will simply link to them. Why reinvent the wheel?

Where to find more information...

1. This blog post is a bit radical but only because we cling to what we know not what is possible. 

Healing Cavities (A True “We’ve-Done-It!” Story!)


2. Here you will find information about the yuck in toothpaste and some helpful things. 

Rethinking Oral Health Care: A Homemade Toothpaste Recipe for Tooth Remineralization


3. More information from a wonderful blog, KEEPER OF THE HOME.

4. And lastly, a link to the website of the book I read on vacation, "Cure Tooth Decay." 

One thing I will say about the book is that there are so many things I simply cannot do because of time or the yuck factor in consuming raw meats/fish. But I did glean some helpful take-aways. If you are a give-me-a-list-and-I-will-do-it person then this book will be overwhelming. The blogs have much more practical advice. I just love learning about how stuff works so the book was intriguing for me.

Enjoy the reads and always remember: do your best, forget the rest. We can't always do everything perfectly healthy. Just begin with something. 

Enjoy your day!



No comments:

Post a Comment